Remote Desktop audio with iProbe (iPlay)

For discussion of the WDM and ASIO Axia Drivers

Moderators: AXIA_milos, Maciej

mgalek

Remote Desktop audio with iProbe (iPlay)

Post by mgalek »

I was wondering if anyone has sucessfully be able to listen to iPlay or the iPlay app within iProbe via Remote Desktop.

Currently we do not have our Axia network bridged over to our IT network. We only have one computer on the Axia network that is running Pathfinder Server and iProbe. Though we'd love to be able to listen to the audio of the Axia network over Remote Desktop via VPN somehow. I can get the Windows system audio mapped via the RTP settings, though when I click on an audio source in iProbe, I just get a message that says 'Preparing' and the audio never plays. When I'm on the local iProbe machine, the iPlay app plays fine.

Any ideas? Or are people doing it differently?

thanks,
matt
The Metropolitan Opera
New York, NY

davidbeck

Post by davidbeck »

Hi Matt

we do not have iProbe but here are my suggestions:

idea # 1 - can you add second LAN card to you PC? If so you can connect cable from Axia network switch, install iPlay on your PC and that's it.

idea #2 - if I am at home and need to listen to something I connect toour VPN and use Live Player which is part of iPofiler. We are using iProfiler for audio logging. Here you can set at which quality you would like to record but also at which quality you would like to stream to Live Player. As I have no reliable internet conection at home I listen at 32 kbps.

David Beck
David Beck

Chief Engeneer
Radio Blanik / Radio City / Oldies Radio
Praha, Czech Republic

beck@radioblanik.cz

Jon

Post by Jon »

Just to follow up on the above 1st point: If you do not want to venture into installing a router to bridge your Axia & office networks - I would just run additional ethernet lines from your Axia switch to the stations requiring audio & drop in a 2nd NIC with an IP driver.

Quite often this is restricted by the cost of the additional cable runs, but normally I recommend this for new installs to keep the structured cabling separate. Simple matter of color coding the termination jacks. This also simplifies upgrading to audio nodes/gpio if required at the location later since cabling is already laid out.

Just one note: if running Windows I would suggest that you disable the network bridging option on the station running the two NICs via local policies (Start > Run > gpedit.msc). Also, you can disable the Axia IP protocol on the NIC for your office network under the properties for network connections. This would insure that the Axia broadcasts are not touching your office net, or that a user inadvertently bridges them.

For simple remote monitoring outside the broadcast facility - I use a Barix Instreamer 100 hardware encoder ($400 Cdn). It can be easily accessed via Winamp & allows multiple clients to connect both interally & via internet with simple port forwarding. I route the destination to the encoder via softpanel or Pathfinder directly as needed.

Just keep it simple ;)

mgalek

Post by mgalek »

Jon wrote:Just to follow up on the above 1st point: If you do not want to venture into installing a router to bridge your Axia & office networks - I would just run additional ethernet lines from your Axia switch to the stations requiring audio & drop in a 2nd NIC with an IP driver.

Quite often this is restricted by the cost of the additional cable runs, but normally I recommend this for new installs to keep the structured cabling separate. Simple matter of color coding the termination jacks. This also simplifies upgrading to audio nodes/gpio if required at the location later since cabling is already laid out.

Just one note: if running Windows I would suggest that you disable the network bridging option on the station running the two NICs via local policies (Start > Run > gpedit.msc). Also, you can disable the Axia IP protocol on the NIC for your office network under the properties for network connections. This would insure that the Axia broadcasts are not touching your office net, or that a user inadvertently bridges them.

For simple remote monitoring outside the broadcast facility - I use a Barix Instreamer 100 hardware encoder ($400 Cdn). It can be easily accessed via Winamp & allows multiple clients to connect both interally & via internet with simple port forwarding. I route the destination to the encoder via softpanel or Pathfinder directly as needed.

Just keep it simple ;)

This is VERY helpful Jon! Thanks for the response! I heard about the Barix box but haven't used one yet. I didn't realize that it can be accessed from plain old Winamp. Very cool.

And thanks for the info re: bringing office networks.

cheers,
matt
The Metropolitan Opera
New York, NY