Number of channels

For discussion of the WDM and ASIO Axia Drivers

Moderators: AXIA_milos, Maciej

Stavros Boulitsakis

Number of channels

Post by Stavros Boulitsakis »

Hi. I was wondering why there is a 24 channel limitation in the driver since 32 channels are normaly supported in almost all windows versions. Furthermore I noticed that audioscience claims that it's oem driver supports all 32 stereo channels. Is such a channel number increase coming in a near future version?

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Post by AXIA_milos »

IP driver originally only support 8 channels. Over years this has increased. IP driver was originally designed for Radio Automation systems which typically only used 3-5 outputs. Moving to 24 channels was for a specific project.

There are no plans currently to provide 32 channels.

xmusicmatt

Post by xmusicmatt »

AXIA_milos wrote:IP driver originally only support 8 channels. Over years this has increased. IP driver was originally designed for Radio Automation systems which typically only used 3-5 outputs. Moving to 24 channels was for a specific project.

There are no plans currently to provide 32 channels.
Milos... Just curious I am having issues getting pricing on the multi channel driver...or pricing that "makes sense" I should say... a AXIA Pricing MSRP list tells me the IP Driver (multi channel) is 24 in / 24 out and the price is $1095.00 for it .. with a foot note that it's only purchased via a partner (automation system company) and that the "price" listed is for estimation purposes...

I contacted an automation company who is listed as a partner with AXIA and they quoted that MSRP price for the audio IP driver for windows and said to contact their sales team to purchase..

However.. it does not compute why one would need 24 in and 24 out for an automation PC .. I would think no more than 3-5 outputs would be used - heck with this system I know that's the case 3 for main play out decks, 1 for AUX Deck and 1 for Audition.

So what am I missing here?

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Post by AXIA_milos »

The IP driver was originally designed around the same ideas of an Axia node of 8x8. It then became obvious that it could go to 16x16 because PC would never make the low efficiency Live stereo streams. Some time later a project needed 24 streams of output, and this is why we have 24x24. Almost no one uses 24 streams.
Don't get worked up about the issue that it provides 24x24. It was designed around the idea of being used for an automation system and in most cases only 3-5 output streams are needed and sometimes 1 stream of input.