Manual for iProfiler?

Questions about administering the Axia iProFiler automated logging system

Moderator: AXIA_milos

Andrew_KOOP

Manual for iProfiler?

Post by Andrew_KOOP »

Hello!

I was looking for more information on the iProfiler software. I've been able to find the manuals for the standard version on the Telos-Systems website. Is a manual available for the iProfiler version?

The reason I ask is that we're throwing around a lot of crazy ideas of possible uses.

Thanks!

clarknovak

Post by clarknovak »

Hi Andrew!

iProFiler and ProFiler have the same base code and work exactly the same, so the manual is correct for both products. The difference is, of course, that iProFiler works directly with Axia networks via the IP Audio Driver, so no soundcards are needed. Operationally, there's no difference.

We like crazy ideas :) What do you have in mind?

Andrew_KOOP

Post by Andrew_KOOP »

Thanks!

Well, our main application was to archive our programs. We were originally considering a simpler solution for that.

We're also interested in making a simple skimmer (record only when host mic is on) for both of our studios. I'm assuming that there is some way to trigger iProfiler to record based on a GPIO event?

One odd application we talked about would be to constantly record the host mic in each studio to a low bit rate archive - whether the mic was activated on the console or not. We do a lot of odd hours production and this would just be a security feature in case something turned up broken or whatnot. We haven't had anything happen in quite a while and there are privacy concerns so we probably won't do this, but it was an odd app we thought about.

We had to troubleshoot a codec issue earlier this year that required us to record a lot of stuff searching for glitches. Having the capability to record our signal at different points in the signal chain would be neat.

Thanks,

clarknovak

Post by clarknovak »

Andrew_KOOP wrote:We're also interested in making a simple skimmer (record only when host mic is on) for both of our studios. I'm assuming that there is some way to trigger iProfiler to record based on a GPIO event?
Absolutely. To trigger skimming when the console mic is open, for instance, you'd enter the mic's GPIO channel number in the iProFiler setup, same as you would for the on-air light.
One odd application we talked about would be to constantly record the host mic in each studio to a low bit rate archive - whether the mic was activated on the console or not.
That's an easy one. You can set up one record channel as a logger, continuously running at a low bitrate - I believe iProFiler supports MP3 encoding rates as low as 16 kbps.

Let me know if you have any more questions or ideas!

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

iProfiler

Post by AXIA_milos »

Andrew_KOOP wrote:
We had to troubleshoot a codec issue earlier this year that required us to record a lot of stuff searching for glitches. Having the capability to record our signal at different points in the signal chain would be neat.
Yes! You can record any source!! Full time or only when that SOURCE is active on a console.

I've used it to troubleshoot a late night satellite show. Always getting odd behaviour or records... don't want to stay up at night to sit there and observe it... I just set iProfiler to start recording at a said time and stop at another time. Basically automatically recording the show so that I can review it the morning after and get better clues of what went wrong.

iProfiler is just too cool!

Plus... since you are using the IP-driver.. there is "GPIO" that travels in the IP... so no need to wire up a closure... just configure the driver and iProfiler to trigger when the "virtual" GPIO fires!!

Andy Linton

Post by Andy Linton »

Can you explain please how to assign a GPIO to iProFiler?

For example I want to record only when channel 4211 is active. Output 1.

Thanks

A.

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Post by AXIA_milos »

Andy Linton wrote:I want to record only when channel 4211 is active. Output 1.
hmm. :( I thought this document was on the web site, but I can't find it anywhere online. I will send the pdf to you directly Andy and see about getting this in our documents page of the AxiaAudio site.

If the 4211 is already triggering a GPO on a device, go to iProfiler Audio Source Management where you find a "Configure Source Skim Inputs" button. This opens another window, where you first need to define the device. Press Node button. and give a friendly name and IP address in one of the rows. Press DONE. Now back in the GPIO config window, the drop down menu will now have this device. Select it and select the GPI/O port(1 - 8 ) and then pick the pin (1 - 5). In your case GPO# pin 1. In the archive, you will have a checkbox to check as the desired skim GPIO trigger.

-or-

If you don't have 4211 triggering a GPO, this can still be done with IP-Driver alone.
Basically, DON'T have any of the sources in the driver enabled (uncheck all the boxes). Place 4211 in a source channel field. At the GPIOconfig screen again, add a device (node button) and you could enter in the IP address of the driver or the loopback (127.0.0.1). Now select the GPO# (where # is the source field you applied the 4211 number in, 1 - 8 ) and pin 1

It is on the list of things to improve, I'm hoping to see the change in 2009.

Andy Linton

Post by Andy Linton »

Done and working, thanks.

A.