Virtual Serial Port?

What can you do with Pathfinder?

Moderators: AXIA_milos, DanBays

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Virtual Serial Port?

Post by AXIA_milos »

I've been challenged with a tech issue for a little while... and that was how to create a serial port on a NexGen PC. NexGen, as far as I know, will only interface with a serial port. I have a NexGen macro (a serial port command) that sends text and I have Pathfinder setup with a "Generic Translator" listening for said text on a set port. This way, I can create "any kind" of automation - my imagination is the limit. I've had an application that I found, which would create this virtual serial port -> IP:port. This has allowed for the success of my automation, but the problem was if the machine were to restart... I would lose the virtual serial port until I created the port. This would lead to some lost automation. Until now... I've noticed that an upgrade of this application has been made... which now allows me to create the virtual port once and it will always be there!

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html

Its a free application.

Also, there are plenty of "virtual null modem" applications out there... if you need to create a Serial - serial communication (as in for the ACU-1 emulation)... just do a search with Google for Virtual Serial.. and plenty can be found.