Pathfinder Stacking event

What can you do with Pathfinder?

Moderators: AXIA_milos, DanBays

tstuart

Pathfinder Stacking event

Post by tstuart »

I'm looking to create a stacking event that will trigger a GPO or GPI change based on indicators from another Non-Axia device on my network.
The non-Axia device (Dragonwave Radio) has both SNMP and Syslog capabilities, the Syslog is currently being directed to a DUDE server, which e-mails me certain critical alerts, and just logs the performance data and other information.

I'm assuming I'd need a Protocol Translator to see the Errors from either Syslog or SNMP then have the stacking event act based on this. But I'm not sure how to build the protocol translator that will monitor either type of traffic.

Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated!

alreynolds

Post by alreynolds »

If I'm understanding you correctly, you basically want to trigger stacking events off of syslog/SNMP messages from your Dragonwave Radio, correct?

If that's the case, I would start by grabbing a Wireshark trace of the Syslog/SNMP packets containing the messages you're looking for---these will be your qualifiers later on.

You should then be able to create a Generic Protocol Translator with TCP/IP UDP Connection, UDP Local Port = 514 (for Syslog), UDP Local Port = 161 (for SNMP).

After that, you'll just need to create a Stacking Event with a "Protocol Translator Command" qualifier based on the message you're looking for.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Al

tstuart

Worked perfectly!

Post by tstuart »

Thanks. Using a protocol translator on UDP port 514 did exactly what I needed.
I thought I'd need something to "decrypt" the syslog's packet, but that was not the case at all...

Thanks!