SPDIF into AES node recommended method

Questions pertaining to Axia Audio Nodes

Moderator: AXIA_milos

JonCyphers

SPDIF into AES node recommended method

Post by JonCyphers »

What is the recommended method of putting SPDIF into the AES node?

Is there a favorite passive or active adaptor that adjusts impedance and signal level, and is the consumer/pro flag properly set necessary to make the node work properly?

I've used various methods with other gear, but I would like to know the one recommended method for Axia nodes that won't cause any issues.

We have 8 Denon 635 CD players that have SPDIF outs, and a few oddball pieces that have SPDIF also.

Thanks!
jon

clarknovak

Post by clarknovak »

Hey Jon,

There's a StudioHub bit for this:

http://www.studiohub.com/MJ-SPDIFOUT.html

Takes SPDIF or TOSLink in and outputs AES. (They've got one that goes the other way, too.)

JonCyphers

Post by JonCyphers »

Thanks Clark, that looks like the perfect fix!

jon

Andrew_KOOP

Post by Andrew_KOOP »

FWIW, HOSA also makes a little SPDIF -> AES converter box. We used that with the Denon 635s and had no issues.

The StudioHub box might be more convenient, though.

Oh - one subtle non-Axia note. I believe the Denon's will only play MP3 output through their Analog outs for some reason. If that functionality is important to you, you might want to check.

JonCyphers

Post by JonCyphers »

Thanks Andrew.

I wondered about the Hosa...but I probably will go with the StudioHub just for ease of connections.

I think I'll try to use the Denon inability to play mp3's to my benefit, to help keep them off the air as much as possible. But that is a nice thing to know, I probably would have pulled my hair out trying to figure that out!