Switches

Discuss network setup and configuration.

Moderator: AXIA_milos

dremund

Switches

Post by dremund »

OK, the Cisco 2960G-8TC-L is on the approved list, but not the 2960-8TC-L. The only difference I see (not that I'm all knowing or anything :wink: ) is that the "G" has Ethernet 1000Base-T ports and the "Non-G" does not.

If I do not have a 1000Base-T path... say if I am using an IP radio, or plain old CAT-5 wire - is there any reason not to save the money and go with the 2960-8TC-L? (the G is almost twice the price of the non-G)

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

2960-8TC

Post by AXIA_milos »

I have one in my equipment rack at home. I'm running a full complement of studio gear. I don't have that much traffic though. I would imagine the 2960-8TC is not listed because it can't really be expanded from. With only a single GIG port (which I use to connect to an ENGINE), there isn't any port to uplink with to a core switch.

A great little box though. I've used it in a "studio in a box" once.

clarknovak

Post by clarknovak »

Milos, how loud is that switch? Is it usable in the studio?

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Post by AXIA_milos »

clarknovak wrote:Milos, how loud is that switch? Is it usable in the studio?
Are you egging me on? I have it in my bedroom, it is so silent that I sleep in the same room with it... Fanless. Comes with a nice big magnet too... I don't even rack it, just stick it onto the side of the rack.

clarknovak

Post by clarknovak »

I think I want one of these! The HP 2626 I have in my setup is so loud that, even with one of the fans disconnected, it's loud enough to wake the dead. Well, wake the profoundly moribund, anyway :lol: