Building a custom Windows Update CD for network computers

Discuss network setup and configuration.

Moderator: AXIA_milos

clarknovak

Building a custom Windows Update CD for network computers

Post by clarknovak »

Dunno if this is the right place to post this, but seems like useful info... I ran across this site and their free scripts for easily building a DIY Windows Update CD.

I also thought this technique might be useful to our customers - ProFiler, iProfiler, PathFinder, etc., who are building new PC's to run these apps. Having recently re-installed XP on 3 PC's at my house, I would have liked this method instead of the lengthy downloads and, especially, multiple reboots required by the usual update method.

http://www.heise-security.co.uk/articles/80682

CYost

Post by CYost »

As far as I'm aware, the installers for Axia products do not support silent install, or scripted installs. This would be a prerequisite to creating a windows disc image containing them.

dbayliss

Post by dbayliss »

CYost wrote:As far as I'm aware, the installers for Axia products do not support silent install, or scripted installs. This would be a prerequisite to creating a windows disc image containing them.
What Clark is recommending is a "Microsoft Updates caching system", based on the Microsoft WSUS server. It is local, thoygh, and you do not need a WSUS server or domain. You download all the updates you need and store them on a USB harddisk (for instance). It is very good for networks that do not have internet connection, or for sites with limited bandwidth. When you at a site that has high bandwidth, download the updates you want to the USB hard disk, carry it to the low bandwidth site and simply run the update programme on each computer to carry out all the MS Updates nedded for that machine.

It works well.