Disabling multicast on a Cisco 2960 port

Discuss network setup and configuration.

Moderator: AXIA_milos

Andrew_KOOP

Disabling multicast on a Cisco 2960 port

Post by Andrew_KOOP »

Hello!

I was wondering if it was possible to disable multicast traffic (IGMP traffic) on a single port of a Cisco Catalyst 2960G switch.

The reason that I ask is that I have a device - a cheap, switch - which does not appear to play nicely at all when placed on the same switch / vlan that our Axia network is on. And yet, I want to be able to access the web interfaces of our nodes, NTP, and other non-multicast services through this device.

This breathtakingly cheap switch is also located at our transmitter site over a bandwidth limited link. The combination of the limited bandwidth with this device's affinity for multicast means that it's getting swamped. I have exhausted all possibilities to disable everything related to multicast on the cheap device, and so I am now moving up the food chain.

I took a quick look at Cisco's online documentation and immediately decided that I should post here first before continuing that course of action.

Ideally, I would like my target port to be oblivious to all IGMP activity. I would like for it to see neither IGMP management messages nor allow any multicast traffic to be forwarded to that port.

Thanks in advance for your time!

-A