Assign channel to preview Bus on iQ

For discussion of iQ and Radius mixing consoles

Moderator: AXIA_milos

geko

Assign channel to preview Bus on iQ

Post by geko »

Hello,
is it possible to assign a source directly to an output, or even better, the preview bus? Our playout system uses a separate channel for PFL, and I was wondering how to hear that on the same preview speaker than previews from other sources like microphones and CD players?
Thanks very much,
Georges

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Post by AXIA_milos »

Two option to do this.
ONE) use the VMIX option to sum your preview mix and the single source from the playout. The vmix is what you assign to the analog output that drives your Preview speaker.
TWO) use the external Preview option in the show profile. Define the playout source. This will require that the playout system triggers a GPI when preview audio is being played. The GPI should trigger the CR monitor logic input 3. Refer to the GPIO tables in the manual for CR monitor logic, you should see that input 3 is for External Preview trigger.

geko

Post by geko »

I'm not seeing Preview as a source in the V-Mix options, I only see sources I've defined myself. Anything I'm missing?
Thanks,
Georges

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Post by AXIA_milos »

I was mistaken, this is currently not an option and for good reason. If doing such, the end user risks having no mute control and no volume control of the External source.

geko

Post by geko »

OK I see - the volume control is not really important (often present on preview monitors), but muting is a good argument.
I have found a workaround - I'm now triggering PFL in the playout system on the same channel with the GPIO PFL ON/OFF signal from the iQ.