Power Suppy question

Talk about Element audio consoles.

Moderator: AXIA_milos

dremund

Power Suppy question

Post by dremund »

I couldn't find a "dumb question" catagory so I'll post it here... :D

What is the difference between the "Element Power Supply" and the "Smart Surface Power Supply," and what would I use each for?

Thanks,

Dave

clarknovak

Re: Power Suppy question

Post by clarknovak »

dremund wrote:I couldn't find a "dumb question" catagory so I'll post it here... :D

What is the difference between the "Element Power Supply" and the "Smart Surface Power Supply," and what would I use each for?
There's no such thing as a dumb question, Dave :D

In addition to GPIO connections, Element power supplies also contain the console CPU and the CANBus network connections for the console frame.
SmartSurface consoles have the CPU inside the console frame and don't have any CANBus connections.

So if your installation uses Element consoles, you'd have no use for a SS power supply.

dremund

Post by dremund »

clarknovak wrote: In addition to GPIO connections, Element power supplies also contain the console CPU and the CANBus network connections for the console frame.
SmartSurface consoles have the CPU inside the console frame and don't have any CANBus connections.

So if your installation uses Element consoles, you'd have no use for a SS power supply.

OK, so I guess the CPU for the console is not in the Studio Engine, right?

clarknovak

Post by clarknovak »

dremund wrote:OK, so I guess the CPU for the console is not in the Studio Engine, right?
Right. The CPU for Element is in its power supply. We did this so that an inadvertent Coke spill couldn't take out the console :shock:

The StudioEngine does mixing exclusively. This is what makes it possible to hot-swap an entire console (if you wanted to) without disrupting the air feed.