Widescreen Monitors

Talk about Element audio consoles.

Moderator: AXIA_milos

Andrew_KOOP

Widescreen Monitors

Post by Andrew_KOOP »

So, I'm purchasing monitors for our new studio. Just out of curiosity, what would happen if I plugged in a widescreen monitor into Element? I ask because we would probably get one for our automation system. Just curious, thanks!

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Going to Widscreen

Post by AXIA_milos »

It is going to stretch out the images. The VGA out from the Element is set for 4:3 screen. Depending on how your screen decides to deal with the image. I've seen a smaller wide screen used and it makes it look stretched. It looks odd to someone who is accustomed to seeing the Element 4:3 output. I've seen in the list of items to work on is the option to provide other resolutions. I'm not sure what release this will come out or how far down the pipe this would be.
I would suggest going with a standard screen. Use space as needed. In the past it was about getting things off of the tabletops... around the corner is how much space one is using above the counter tops. As PC become more and more in the studio space, more and more monitors appear. I've seen it in installs I've been a member to and can also be observed in the Client photo section of this forum. Studios with three or four monitors... add in some TVs, security cams... before you know it you can't find your co host on the other side of the table. (you will need another camera and video screen to see them!) I think the Element screen can be kept smaller. As long as the operator can observe the name of the source on the Source selection screen, it is as big as it needs to be.

Andy Linton

Post by Andy Linton »

Indeed. In an installation we've just done, each on-air studio have seven (count 'em!) monitors!*

And it is a problem now in that with a wall of monitors the operator can't see the guests!

Especially now that it's become hard to get 15" monitors. We ask the automation provider (in this case, RCS) to provide the monitors so that they're all the same type, and they of course supply 19" ones!

A.

*In front of the operator, Internet PC, 2 x Master Control, 1 Burli, 1 x Axia; on the back of those 1 x Burli and 1 x Master Control.

clarknovak

Post by clarknovak »

A peek behind the veil: I can confirm that a UI for widescreen monitors is in the works. I can't give you a deployment date, though.

I keep trying to convince people they should get an LCD projector and make one whole studio wall the Element display, but no one's gone for it yet 8) It would make it hard for the jocks to ignore the meters, yeah?

Andrew_KOOP

Post by Andrew_KOOP »

Hey Clark,

Might I suggest something? :idea: We love the live production capabilities of the Element - Aux bus mixes, eq, etc.

But here is a suggestion we've talked about before at KOOP that might make these features even easier to use.

When you mix live music on a Mackie or similar production board you can just look at the board and immediately you know what is going to what Aux bus, what your eq looks like for all channels, etc. It's very easy to spot and fix a problem because you can see everything all at once by looking at the positions of all the knobs on the board.

Even though you can quickly flip between channels on the Element, just nothing beats being able to see it all at once. When the guitar player is motioning that he can't hear himself, for example.

So, I humbly suggest that you might consider adding a display mode that, well, looks like a Mackie or something. The Element is a great console with more than enough mixing capability to take on all kinds of live music situations. To me, it seems that this capability can really be unlocked by showing more information to the operator. And it would look cool.

Thanks,