Anyone using ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card?

Are you an Axia partner? Do you own 3rd-party Livewire gear? Post here

Moderator: AXIA_milos

Andrew_KOOP

Anyone using ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card?

Post by Andrew_KOOP »

Howdy!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Audioscience Livewire card? It looks kinda neat.

Thanks!

-A

markus

Re: Anyone using ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card?

Post by markus »

No. But why use hardware when you can use Axia's IP Driver?

Regards

Markus

"I love deadlines. I like the wooshing sound
they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Andrew_KOOP wrote:Howdy!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Audioscience Livewire card? It looks kinda neat.

Thanks!

-A

Andrew_KOOP

Post by Andrew_KOOP »

We do have two ENCO machines which use the multichannel IP audio driver and they work great.

We're kicking around ideas here, and some would involve adding multichannel audio to some non-ENCO machines. Regardless, I was just curious if anyone had used one of these cards in the field. I'll save my technical questions for Audio Science's tech support.

markus

Post by markus »

I was only wondering, because we had the same discussion in my company. We will try the Axia Mulitchannel IP Driver. I will tell you about our experiences after the installation.

Markus

quote="Andrew_KOOP"]We do have two ENCO machines which use the multichannel IP audio driver and they work great.

We're kicking around ideas here, and some would involve adding multichannel audio to some non-ENCO machines. Regardless, I was just curious if anyone had used one of these cards in the field. I'll save my technical questions for Audio Science's tech support.[/quote]
Douglas Adams

clarknovak

Post by clarknovak »

markus wrote:But why use hardware when you can use Axia's IP Driver?
Good question! At first it seems a bit counterintuitive to use hardware when you could opt for pure Ethernet. But there are some good reasons to use the ASI card, based upon your ultimate operational goals.

The AudioScience card works like our Audio Driver, in that logic and audio I/O connect to your Axia network via Ethernet. But ASI cards have some very high-end DSP functions in them. The 6585 supports realtime MP3 and Layer 2 compression and decompression on-the-fly. It can digitally mix audio streams with different sample rates. And it can do pitch-corrected time stretching or squeezing in realtime (as a former Production Director, I love this feature!). And it uses the Windows WDM so it'll work with any Windows editor or playout system that uses that model.

So like I said, it depends what your operational end-goal is.

Cheers!

markus

Post by markus »

Thx for the replay. This explains the reason of getting the cards.

Markus
clarknovak wrote:
markus wrote:But why use hardware when you can use Axia's IP Driver?
Good question! At first it seems a bit counterintuitive to use hardware when you could opt for pure Ethernet. But there are some good reasons to use the ASI card, based upon your ultimate operational goals.

The AudioScience card works like our Audio Driver, in that logic and audio I/O connect to your Axia network via Ethernet. But ASI cards have some very high-end DSP functions in them. The 6585 supports realtime MP3 and Layer 2 compression and decompression on-the-fly. It can digitally mix audio streams with different sample rates. And it can do pitch-corrected time stretching or squeezing in realtime (as a former Production Director, I love this feature!). And it uses the Windows WDM so it'll work with any Windows editor or playout system that uses that model.

So like I said, it depends what your operational end-goal is.

Cheers!
Douglas Adams

Catfish
Fearless Leader

ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card

Post by Catfish »

One thing to add to Clark's excellent explanation of the differences between the ASI6585 card and the Axia Livewire driver:

The ASI card offers WAV and WDM drivers under Windows and ALSA and HPI drivers under Linux. If you have an existing automation system which works with any of the AudioScience soundcards already, this Livewire soundcard should plug right in.

We're proud to have AudioScience as another Livewire partner.
Michael Dosch

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

ASI cards / Livewire

Post by AXIA_milos »

I would say without any experience with the card, that it can probably be pushed harder than a standard NIC. The ASI card should have some processors where a NIC does not. I'm interested in seeing how the ASI card performs in a live multitrack recording environment. This is where the ASI card has an opportunity to out perform the standard LIVEWIRE driver. My opinion.

George Seifert

Re: ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card

Post by George Seifert »

Catfish wrote:One thing to add to Clark's excellent explanation of the differences between the ASI6585 card and the Axia Livewire driver:

The ASI card offers WAV and WDM drivers under Windows and ALSA and HPI drivers under Linux. If you have an existing automation system which works with any of the AudioScience soundcards already, this Livewire soundcard should plug right in.

We're proud to have AudioScience as another Livewire partner.
Has the ASI card working properly with the SS-32 application? I heard that there might be some conflicts with Scott Studios and Livewire via ASI.
G
Left Ohio for sunshine and boy did I find it!
Downside is I can't drive my products to Cleveland anymore for repairs :(

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

installing the ASI6585

Post by AXIA_milos »

AXIA_milos
Axia Team

Re: ASI6585 Livewire Sound Card

Post by AXIA_milos »

George Seifert wrote: Has the ASI card working properly with the SS-32 application? I heard that there might be some conflicts with Scott Studios and Livewire via ASI.
It works. I've seen it installed at a facility using SS32.